Clearwater River Idaho
The Clearwater River in North Central Idaho, is home to the largest strain of steelhead in the Lower 48 and the best winter fishery in the United States to fish for consistently large B-Run steelhead.
2020 Dates & Trip Overview
Our season runs from January 20 – March 7. We fish from drift boats on the Middle Fork of the Clearwater, concentrating from Kooskia to Orofino, Idaho. Trips go out between 7am and 9am depending on fishing conditions and weather. We are on the water for 8 hours each day which is the perfect amount of time for all of our guests.
We specialize in Fly Fishing but our guests may also choose to use Conventional Tackle. We primarily indicator fish while fly fishing but we take every opportunity we have to swing flies. All fishing gear is included in your trip price as well as a streamside lunch. We are a very service oriented operation so you will always have a very professional, knowledgeable and fun guide taking the upmost care of you and your party.
About Clearwater River Steelhead
Idaho B-Run Steelhead are truly amazing, traveling roughly 650 miles from the ocean to the section of river we fish and beyond to spawn. This run of fish is the oldest run of steelhead in the US. In addition, the Clearwater River boasts the largest hatchery program in the US which substantially adds to the quality of fishing.
Idaho Fish and Game typically sets a bag limit for hatchery fish but it is dependent upon fish counts. If anglers are interested in keeping a fish or two we use a local company to smoke your fish for you to enjoy at home with friends and family.
This trip is not only about fishing though, the scenery, culture and wildlife Idaho has to offer is just as spectacular and keeps us going back year after year with our loyal customers. As an added bonus, the Clearwater Valley is only 1,000 feet above sea level, with average highs in the 40’s and 50’s, making this balmy winter steelheading weather to say the least. Overall, this trip is a gem and one we will continue to offer to our customers for many years to come!
Guests will need to travel to Kamiah, Idaho our home base for the Clearwater steelhead trips. Traveling to and from your preferred lodging in Kamiah from your desired airport is very convenient. You have three different options in addition to driving from your hometown:
- Option #1: The closest airport is the Lewiston-Nez Perce Regional Airport. This airport is only a 1 hour drive to Kamiah and has daily flights making roundtrip travel easy and painless. Although this airport is the closest, it is typically more expensive, but not always.
- Option #2: The Spokane International Airport is the closest major airport and is the most cost efficient. Customers that use this airport will have a three hour drive to and from Kamiah. The drive is pretty and the price is right, making this our most frequently used airport.
- Option #3: We have recently started using the Pullman-Moscow Regional Airport. Sometimes pricing is comparable to Spokane International Airport so its worth checking this airport as well. Drive time is 1hour and 45 minutes.
After your arrival at your preferred airport you will pick up your rental car and drive the last leg of your trip to Kamiah.
We have a few options that we suggest for lodging but please feel free to arrange for different lodging options in or near Kamiah, Idaho. Here are our suggestions:
- Clearwater 12 Motel – This a newly remodeled Motel that is centrally located in Kamiah and includes a continental breakfast.
- Hearthstone Lodge – This Bed and Breakfast is a quaint little establishment that offers a very nice breakfast at their restaurant offsite in the town of Kamiah.
Pricing, What’s Included & Cancellation Policy
Float Trip Pricing Per Day
$345 Per Person, Per Day (Based on Double Occupancy)
$595 Per Person, Per Day (Single Occupancy)
Full day of guided steelhead fishing, lunch, all fly fishing equipment and tackle.
What’s NOT Included:
Fishing license, waders and boots, guide gratuity, flights, airport transportation and alcoholic beverages.
A 50% deposit is required at time of booking with the remainder due 30 days prior to your arrival date of your trip. Deposit is refundable up to 31 days before the arrival date of your trip. Final 50% payment is due 30 days before your arrival date. Deposit and final payment are nonrefundable 30 days or less before your arrival date.
**All Guided Trips Are Offered And Performed By Swiftwater Outfitters**